Skip to main content

An Open Letter to Devin the Dude


Dear Devin the dude, 

Here’s why I think you’re an asshole.

 I went to your show last night in Atlanta, Ga.  I was excited. I like your music a lot; I think you make great records. I was really exited to see you perform.

I work as a waitress, which means I work late nights and weekends. But luckily, Atlanta is a city that is notoriously late for everything, so I got off before you had gone on. So I was like, that’s what’s up, I’m gonna go see the Devin the Dude and smoke weed and drink gin and tonics with my friends. It should have been a really awesome night!

                                                 what my night should have been like 


When I got there I dished out the 20 dollars at the door, which I had just earned from commodifying myself to the point of oblivion. But if I know (think) I’m gonna see a really good show I’ll pay for it.
It’s too bad that you failed to perform until almost 2 in the morning, after the audience had endured basically three hours of people on the stage hyping us for Devin the Dude.

Yeah, I wanna see Devin the dude, dude, that’s why I’m here. I don’t need you to keep reminding me. I would just like to see him now. Is this going to happen? Did I just pay to stand around all night getting hit every time someone walked by, spilling half my drink from the bar to my spot, trying to stand on my tiptoes to make sure I could catch the performance? Is this gonna be like that MF Doom stunt where it wasn’t really him performing at all, it was an imposter? But instead of it not being you, you just pretend to have a show and then just never go on?

That’s really what it felt like.

The only saving grace was Boog Brown, who is a local female MC who is INSANE. She is fucking amazing, and probably way more talented than Devin the Dude. She doesn’t have the mindset of “I’m Devin the Dude I can do whatever I want” so she shows up on time to her shows, performs, kills it, and appreciates the fact that people who consume her art are essential to her continuing to make it.

It’s kinda that mentality where if you haven’t made it yet, even if you have all the talent in the world, you want to work for it. And if you have reached a point where you have established yourself, you don’t feel that fire as much.

So back to the point, you (Devin) stroll on the stage around 1:30 with like 40 fucking people, I have no fucking idea who they were, a) barricading the edges of the stages hindering anyone from even seeing you, b) who the fuck are you? Why the fuck would you need that many people with you? I don’t even think the President has that many people around him at one time. I just wanted to be like, Devin, do you even know these people? Or are you just trying REALLY hard to feel important?

And don’t get me wrong here- I love assholes; I love people that don’t give a fuck. But you’re not even doing it right!

The best part is, when you came on and finally the crowd was like yeahhhhh Devin the Dude, like, we were still feeling it, you hadn’t totally lost it, after two hours of watching the Coffee Brothers “perform” we were still gonna get down (not sure if that is their name, that’s just what someone said). But then you just walked off. Your entourage stayed, but you walked right back off the stage. I was just looking for Ashton in the crowd at that point.

                                                          seriously, where's ashton? 

So you seriously thought you were important enough to walk across the stage for a second so we could I guess bask in the glorious presence that is Devin the Dude, and then disappear. Devin the Dude, you’re not the Beatles. You continued to make us wait after that. At this point the crowd is booing you. There is a very drunk man in an Irish t-shirt prancing around everywhere giving high-fives. Someone is peddling bootleg Devin the Dude DVDS for five dollars. I stopped trying to go to the bar for fear I would chose the exact moment when you would finally come on and never make it back through the crowd. I couldn’t smoke weed, because I was afraid if I stepped outside I’d miss you. So I’m at a bar not drinking, at a hip hop show not high, I’ve been at work all day and am totally exhausted.

At this point one friend just had his head in his hands, I think my other friends had left, between us we had all gone to another bar at least three times WHILE WE WERE WAITING FOR YOU. In the three-hour span of waiting for you to come on (while you were probably jacking off to a picture of yourself or something) we literally went to another bar to drink.

this is not happening


So you finally come on stage, not with a bang but a whimper I might add, and no one gives a fuck anymore. Everyone is pissed off, because we all just paid our fucking hard earned money doing the types of jobs you don’t have to do because you ARE A FUCKING HIP HOP ARTIST, one of the coolest jobs ever, while we all wait tables and sell you cars and shit and do your taxes, I don’t know. I know that you have the luxury of being able to travel around the country and world, performing your art, probably smoking a shit ton of weed, and kicking it while you create awesome shit. That sounds awesome to me. So I would like to think I’d be respectful to the people who allow me to do that if I were in that position. The thing I guess you don’t realize is that treating fans of your work with utter disregard for their time and money, making them wait all night to see you hobble on the stage at 2 AM and start rapping to what kinda sounds like a vocal track, is a little annoying.

After about three songs, I left. You didn’t even come in with some awesome performance. It was boring. Maybe I would have liked it better if I wasn’t in such a bad mood at that point, or maybe you’re just a total asshole.

                                                              it must be nice, dude

Sincerely,
Jessie Feigert 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That Glitters: The Dark Side of Lisa Frank and The Masks We Wear on Social Media

“Gold in its raw form appears dull and does not glitter.” Like most girls my age, I grew up on Lisa Frank; to this day I have never loved a boy as much as I loved my original Lisa Frank trapper keeper.   And as a feminist I deliciously delight in non-ironically reappropriating the pink colorful glitter images Frank iconized as celebratory and powerful rather than weak and flippant.   So while groggily sitting on my parent’s back deck this morning where I have been living for the past 6 months due to some of those wonderful life-likes-to-kick-you-in-the-ass-unforeseen-circumstances, I’m half enjoying my day off thanks to the long holiday weekend and half suffering through pangs of loneliness, deeply isolated from the glitzy city lights of Atlanta 30 miles away. As I scroll through my friends’ posts and pictures of their frolicking late night adventures around Dragon Con this weekend, adorned in pink wigs, high heels, outrageous costumes, and ridiculously (yet genuinely) larg

Saving Yourself from Heartbreak in the Nick of Time (While Suffering From BPD)

I shoulda never listed to your woeful stories The ones I'm sure you told a thousand times before me THE FIRST TIME you traumatized me, I was 29. It was my initial year of graduate school and I had just moved back to the city. I was adapting to a new body; a better one, I thought, than the one that had given me so much trouble growing up. The one that made me hate myself.   (But you didn’t know that girl, and never bothered to get to know her.)     You got to meet the new me, the one that shed both the physical and metaphorical weight of my past. Our first date, I was disappointed. You looked like your pictures, sometimes, in certain lighting, but I didn’t feel any immediate attraction. You told me later it was love at first site for you. I found that so strange we had such different interpretations. I know now, that was a sign for me to not continue a romance with you…but this new me was attracted to your attraction to me. You weren’t like the other guys I had dated before, either;

The Understated Genius of Black Rob and Buckwild's "Whoa". RIP

Artist : Black Rob Song : “Whoa” Producer :  Buckwild  Year:   2000   Take a peek at Buckwild's Wikipedia page if you wanna go down a fantastic rabbit hole and discover a bombastic discography of  quintessential  NY 90's hip hop songs. Coupled with his work alongside his Diggin in the Crates crew (a moniker for finding the best records to sample), which includes everyone from Lord Finesse to Fat Joe, proves Buckwild is an unsung legend.  Think Big L's "Put It On," Biggie Smalls' "I Got a Story to Tell," Jay-Z's "Lucky Me," Akinyele's "Sister, Sister." But nothing can compare to the sonic enterprise Buckwild and Black Rob embarked on when the two met on the 2000 track "Whoa."   In Rob's "Whoa," Buckwild's musicality and keen ear factor heavily as a major portion of the song's success. His crew's name is indeed integral to their production style when you dig a little further in